Monday, October 15, 2007

" NOT FAIR !"

.....
I
am a father. I've had the experience. I rejoice daily at his return.

I do not love my the loyal son any less. I rejoice he didn't need to go through the same experience of hitting bottom, and eating with the pigs before coming to his senses.
.....
´The Prodigal Son Squanders His Inheritance´ by Rembrandt. Canvas, ca. 1636. Dresden, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Gem ldegalerie......
´The Return of the Prodigal Son´ by Rembrandt. Canvas, ca. 1668-69. Leningrad, The Hermitage.
.....
I am a son. I've messed-up too. I am so grateful I have a loving Father who rejoices when I show-up once in awhile.

So often I've read and heard the scripture story of the returning son. I've sometimes, often times, related with the feelings of the other son - "NOT FAIR!", I'd cry out. I've never been as down-and-out as the returning son. I can't know how much pride he had to swallow to come back.
.....

2 comments:

Buddhist, RN said...

A whole bunch. And nothing makes it worse than having someone not rejoice at your return. Been there.

uncle jim said...

From the sons view who never strayed, it seems unfair - but it is a selfish view, although probably more in line with our human nature than to rejoice.

From the returning son's view, the horror he endured after his fling, and the pride he swallowed in deciding to come back. It would be devastating if no one even seemed to notice, or as in this story, if someone was angry - the other son - because the father rejoiced.

Those who are parents, I think can relate - I believe the GREAT VAST majority would rejoice. Our children are a part of our heart, whether going straight or astray, and we rejoice when they get it right.