Monday, October 1, 2007

"asc" Story from Melody


Melody said...

Two of us got a second chance this morning. I was on my way to work. It was still dark. Seemingly out of nowhere a bicyclist darted across my path. I slammed on the brakes, and he swerved. A tragedy was narrowly averted. He had no lights, and wasn't wearing reflective clothing, but I should have seen him anyway. Thank God and our guardian angels that nothing happened. I am still shaking. I think I need to start praying every time I get in the car. And looking both ways at least three times.

- - -
Speaking of Guardian Angels, tomorrow, Tuesday October 2, is the Feast of Guardian Angels in the Catholic calendar of feast-days.
- - -
Melody,
Thanks for sharing this. I suspect many of us have encountered something like this. There are too many headlines like these:

Bicyclist remains hospitalized following Thursday collision

and

Cyclist killed in early morning accident


Traffic accidents kill an average of 728 cyclists each year, injuring 45,000 more. Cyclist's account for 13 percent of all non-motorist traffic, 2 percent of all traffic fatalities, and 1 percent of all traffic injuries. Roughly 40 percent of all bicycle fatalities occur in the states of California, Florida, New York and Texas. [from web-site of a bicycling-accident attorney law firm]

REFLECTIVE CLOTHING just might save more lives if it were mandatory.


No comments: