Monday, October 1, 2007

Christ in the Workplace


I'm sure you've heard and told 'a friend of a friend' stories before. Well I have one for you, which I received in the most current issue of the 'Challenge Newsletter', a publication of the Christians in Commerce, International. The organization is made up of Business men and women around the world trying to affect the market-place with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

One of the members in Salinas, CA invited a co-worker to go with him and other family members to minister to the elderly at a nursing home. It was near Christmas and they were going to do some caroling. The woman accepted and brought her mother and college aged son along. The activity had a particularly huge impact on the son. The young man used that opportunity to turn his life in another direction. He took advantage of 'a second chance'.

Months later, he wrote a letter to family members acknowledging his mistakes and how God's grace had made a difference in his life. What follows are excerpts from that letter. [used with permission]
- - -
' Dear Everyone,

I'm not sure if you are all aware but I got a DUI last August '06. After I came back home, I hated every day that my parents or sister had to take me to school. Everyday I got into the car was a reminder of my mistake. At first, I told everyone that I had just moved home to boost my GPA and intern at an AG company locally.

As this past year went on I dug deep in my soul to make my parents proud of me again as the day they dropped me off in Pamona at Cal-Poly for my Freshman year.

Over the past year I accomplished more than I had my previous 3 years of college. I boosted my GPA to a 3.7. I paid off all my DUI fines, I got a great job interning at a great company, I became closer with my family, and I became confirmed in the Catholic Church [sealing my faith in God].

I have done absolutely everything in my power to make an example of myself to my friends and to those who know my story. I know God has a plan for all of us and I feel and know that God called me to be an example to others. No matter how rough life may seem at times or if you my feel God has abandoned you, know that he is always with you.'
- - -
We never know the effect our 'invitation' to co-workers and friends may have, or what God might do with and for them. Our choice to include them may be 'a second chance' for them.

Do you have 'a second chance' story to share? Write it in the 'Comments' box for the most current post, or any post, and we'll do the rest.

1 comment:

Melody K said...

Two of us got a second chance this morning. I was on my way to work. It was still dark. Seemingly out of nowhere a bicyclist darted across my path. I slammed on the brakes, and he swerved. A tragedy was narrowly averted. He had no lights, and wasn't wearing reflective clothing, but I should have seen him anyway. Thank God and our guardian angels that nothing happened. I am still shaking. I think I need to start praying every time I get in the car. And looking both ways at least three times.