Monday, January 19, 2009

Soccer Fantacies

I never knew much about soccer

then I went to the
National Soccer Coaches Association
convention in St. Louis

This past weekend I spent 2 - 1/2 days in St. Louis with my soccer coach twin brother. He brought two of the other coaches with him from St. Benedict at Auburndale High School in Cordova, TN [eastern suburb of Memphis].

COACHES: brother Jack - Julie - Andy
[my picture is at top center of blog]

While my brother has been attending these events for many, many, years, this was a first for Julie and Andy.

Some of the highlights included the national draft for both the men's and women's professional soccer leagues. Additionally there were the awards banquets for the high-school and college All-American selections.

We had a good time confusing people who met us for the first time. Of the thousands in attendance, I think half of them knew my brother. While I had many coming up to me and talking to me, thinking they were talking to 'Coach' Jack Schenkel, we managed to keep them laughing at themselves when we presented ourselves together.

And a good time was had by all. I now know a little about a lot of different topics [combinations, 4-4-2, 3-4-2-1 and other formations, backs and forwards and wings and strikers and keepers, set-plays, counters, corner kicks, crossing, support, dribbling, heading, add-time, touches, etc.].

Always good to be home.

4 comments:

Lillian Marie said...

It's like seeing de-ja-vu! LOL

(had you not said in your post that this was your brother .... :-)

uncle jim said...

de-ja-who?

ground-hog day is a-comin'

Lillian Marie said...

I love that movie!

It is imprinted on my mind like the Sonny & Cher song 'I got you, babe' LOL

If only we could 'relive' some moments ... however God uses the good & the bad (and the ugly). *grin*

Anonymous said...

Jim's sister, Jeanne says: I loved that movie that was a commercial rejected. What is the title again so I can use in my Media class?