Saturday, November 3, 2007

COMMENTS on hospitality by Adoro Te and a short video about babies

Any Way Saturday
.....
From Adoro Te Devote in a com-box below.

About hospitality.

Oy, I have stories!

Mexico, 1994. We had just arrived, and ON THE THIRD DAY (check the Biblical sigificance of that phrase) we met our host families. We had been at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe that morning, got on the bus to Puebla, and at the ETC (our school) we took Spanish placement tests, were fed ham and cheese croissants with Churros and hot chocolate, and placed in a room to await our families. We were a bunch of lost puppies.

One by one, we were claimed...we, and all our luggage.

They called me, said, "Who belongs to V.R.?" I left the group. My new "Mom" greeted me warmly with a kiss on the cheek (this is how Mexicans greet all women), and bega to chatter at me. I'd had 6 years of Spanish and could barely understand. She drove me home, pointing out sights on the way. Because her last student didn't speak Spanish at all, she was careful to use hand signals for basic things. She knew I had no idea what she was saying.

When I arrived, she introduced me to her husband, R., and they explained that their children were out for the evening. I think I met their 8 year old.

Well, as soon as we walked in the door, they showed me their house, my room, helped me carry my stuff up, and then we went back to the kitchen, where they insisted that I eat. I didn't want to eat; I was full. But finally, I agreed to a sandwich, because to continue to refuse would be rude.

Note to everyone; if you go to Mexico, the first thing people will do is feed you. It would be rude for them not to, and it would be rude for you not to accept.

They were wonderful to me, and throughout my time there, people were great. Perfect strangers helped me, and all of us, to get places. They were incredible, God bless them.
..............................
the baby in a box

'
CLICK' on the above > and watch this short, thought provoking video.
.........................

Do you think this video will convince anyone?

While it is nicely produced, I think its a little weak ... but what do I know? If it catches one person's heart, I guess it is redeemed.
.....

3 comments:

Melody K said...

Mexico must have been an incredible experience, Adoro!

Uncle Jim, congratulations to your nephew on his diaconal ordination. I hope you'll take some pictures of the occasion.

uncle jim said...

Pictures?
Yeah ... about 3 hours en route I remembered my camera - still at home!

Melody K said...

I just watched the video. The theme of my day seems to be "babies". Our son and daughter-in-law gave us the news today that we are going to be grandparents. We are so excited!