Tuesday, November 27, 2007

the Classifieds - Help Wanted - Experience required

Vid Way Tuesday
. . . . .
Discernment is sometimes a bit tricky. Sometimes trying to find just what it is that God is asking me to do becomes confusing. Have you ever been in the position of trying find a job? Every ad in the newspaper requires 'prior experience'. How do I get the experience without a job? It usually meant I had to start at the bottom and work my way up. Working my way up may be exactly what God had in mind for me.

Some years ago I thought I had discerned that I was to become a 'Permanent Deacon' in the Roman Catholic Church. I applied for and was accepted into the program. After a year, my employer transferred me to another Diocese in another state. They didn't even have a program for Permanent Deacons. Well, so much for that.

I was troubled by what I thought must have been a faulty discernment on my part. Fortunately, a spiritual director told me that was not necessarily so. He taught me that discernment doesn't mean I will figure out the 'end' in mind, but only the 'next step'. He gave me several examples that set my mind and heart at ease. Now, I recognize that God uses my next step as a prerequisite for HIS next step, and that may not be anything at all like what I was imagining.
. . . . .


'CLICK' on the > above and watch this clip from the "Make Room for Daddy" TV show from the early 1960's. The star of the show was actor and comedian Danny Thomas [who, as a philanthropist, founded the St. Jude's Childrens' Hospital in Memphis TN]. In this scene his very young son and daughter are trying to find a job.
. . . . .

W
hen trying to find God's will, prayer and fasting goes a long way to clear out my spiritual senses so I can hear God's voice.
. . . . .

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Uncle Jim, you need to quit picking on yourself.

Tom in Vegas said...

So true. I was in dialogue with the Diocese of Las Vegas for about a year, under the guidance of Father Tony Varcelone, discerning whether to enter the priesthood or not.

I love the video!

Tom

Fr. V said...

Uncle Jim!

I catching up on your blog - I'm a little behind per usual - Saw MJ yesterday and she was asking if I saw such and such here and knew I was too far behind!

LOVE the video - and the one of the pope too - may steal it - but give you credit.

GOD BLESS!