Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Your Way Tuesday
. . . . . . . . . .
how low can I go
. . . . .
While searching videos for Gregorian Chant I came across artists or groups singing hymns of the Latin Funeral Mass. It brought back memories from grade school days.

Our parish used the parish school 8th grade class to sing at funeral Masses. The organ and choir were positioned in a loft to the rear of the assembly. Our organist & choir director, Mr. Lang, and our teacher, Sister Mary Elmer, SND, taught us our parts during 'music class' starting in 7th grade so we'd be ready when we got to 8th.

Early in my 8th grade year we were called upon to sing for a funeral. We processed to the church and went directly to the small and narrow stairs winding up to the choir loft.

After the first hymn, Sister came to me and said in a very stern voice [you recall Sister Mary Whomever and her stern voice, don't you?], "Mr. Schenkel ... from here on just mouth it, OK - don't sing! Do you understand me?"

There were a couple of us who didn't get to sing anymore. During summer vacation our voices started changing. We were at a time in our life when our sweet voices had become crackling wanna be basses. Sister didn't want us messing up the sweet sound of this wonderful children's choir. We were so proud.

uncle jim

. . . . . . . . . .

While I didn't select a version of the Dies Ire to feature here, I did find a version of the Ave Maria with which I was not familiar.
. . .
a rendition of Caccini's Ave Maria
. . .
[3:04]


'CLICK' on the above > and be caught-up in angelic rapture
. . . . .
. . . . .
the following is from Fr. Schnippel of 'Called by Name'
. . .
Monday, February 25, 2008
Surely, you can't be Sirius!?

I am, (and don't call me Shirley!) (Sorry, bad attempt at humor!)

I will be a guest on Sirius Satellite Radio's The Catholic Channel next Monday, March 3rd at 7:30 AM, Eastern, on Sieze the Day with Gus Lloyd. We'll be talking about vocations, the efforts of the office here in Cincinnati, and the development of our website at www.cincinnativocations.org.

I'm not entirely sure if you can listen in online or not here: http://www.sirius.com/thecatholicchannel

If anyone knows, hit the combox, please.

. . . . .

the following is from Dawn Eden of 'the Dawn Patrol'
Monday, February 25, 2008
Young artist hangs herself after grief of aborting twins

I see the tragedy of Emma Beck and her unborn children as, in large part, a result of the feminist culture that bullies women into keeping quiet about their post-abortive pain—unless that pain can be placed within the context of an abortion-advocacy message (e.g. "a painful decision" but "the right choice").
. . . . .

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

I loved singing in the 8th grade choir. We did funerals, too.

I was real bad at sticking to my alto part (I was already well on my way to my present contralto status). I would sing whatever part was dominent. Finally, Sister just stuck me in the front and told me to sing whatever I wanted. That way I couldn't throw off the rest of the alto's.

uncle jim said...

and i finally ended as an 'almost' tenor.

Buddhist, RN said...

The other Emily and I both uttered a sympathetic "awww." What a mean nun! We are glad you aren't permanently scarred. I'm SO glad I was in public school. I got an excellent education, and no mean nuns! Not that they're all mean, of course. But boy have I heard stories. Plus, no mandatory Mass during the school week.

I absolutely love the Requiems of Faure and Mozart. Give them a listen sometime. Mozart's especially is so haunting.